mimpegnomanontroppo

28 novembre, 2005

Against that time, if ever that time come (Sonnet 49)



Against that time, if ever that time come,
When I shall see thee frown on my defects,
When as thy love hath cast his utmost sum,
Called to that audit by advised rspects:
Against that time when thou shalt strangely pass,
And scarcely greet me with that sun, thine eye,
When love, converted from the thing it was,
Shall reasonsfind of settled gravity:
Against that time o I ensconce me here
Within the knowledge of mine own desert,
And this my hand against myse lf uprear,
To guard the lawful reasons on thy part
To leave poor me thou hast the strength of laws,
Since why to love I can allege no cause

William Shakespeare

Per quel giorno, se mai verrà quel giorno,
in cui ti vedrò accigliare ad ogni mio difetto,
e chiuderà il tuo amore il suo conto estremo
spinto a tal giudizio da sagge riflessioni:
per quel giorno in cui m'incontrerai da estraneo
senza volgere al mio viso il sole dei tuoi occhi,
e l'amor, mutato da quel era un tempo,
troverà ragioni di una certa gravità:
per quel giorno, dovrò cercare asilo
dentro la coscienza dei miei soli meriti,
e alzerò davanti a me questa mia mano
per parare quanto addurrai a tua ragione.
Per lasciar me miserabile tu hai la forza delle leggi
mentre io d'esser amato non posso vantar diritti.